Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Pho Convoy Noodle House

Egg rolls that don't make you wish you had ordered more?  Sad.

Broken rice dish -- I (Jenne) liked the chicken best.


Noodle dish--I thought it was kind of greasy and cafeteria-ish.

Beef wrapped in grape leaves.
They give you, like, an entire forest to go with the beef.  There are also rice paper wrappers that you dip in hot water.  I do always like an interactive meal...


Rating: Two sideways thumbs
Date: 2/13/13
Time in: Jenne arrived at 6:30 PM; Nick and I got there very late at 6:55 PM (Sorry, Jenne)
Servers' recommendations: #100 (Hủ Tiếu hoặc Mì Áp Chảo Gà (hoặc Bò): pan fried chicken with assorted vegetables with egg noodles)
What we ordered: #100, #56 (broken rice with pork and shrimp), Bò Lá Nho (beef stuffed in grape leaves)
Number in our party: 3 (Nick as a guest judge)
Final check amount: $45.85
Price per person: $15.28
Notes
(general comments in black; Miko's comments in blue; Jenne's comments in orange):

  • Sad.  Convoy Noodle House used to be our go-to for our weekly pho trips.  It was once a favorite.  Somewhere along the way, we started going to Saigon or Ca Dao instead, but we still thought Convoy Noodle House was good stuff.  At this visit, however, none of the dishes tasted very good.  Had we gotten snobbier or had the food gotten worse?  We think it might be a little of both.
  • The chicken in the broken rice dish tasted like grilled chicken sandwich at Burger King (which used to be called the BK Broiler, but now it goes by another name).  It was good, but that was a bit weird.
  • I have to say that I'm not a fan of the beef dish -- it's too sweet, and the meat's not fluffy enough.  My old roommate used to order it a lot because she was on a low-carb diet, and she really liked it.
  • The egg rolls were not great.  We didn't even finish the order between the three of us.
  • They packed up our leftovers for us.  We love it when restaurants do that.
  • I didn't try it on this visit, but I think the three-bean dessert here is my favorite in San Diego, and for that, I still give it a sideways thumb.  
  • I do like the beef dish, but I think it wasn't as good as it used to be.
  • We didn't have them this time, but their smoothie drinks are usually really good. Except the avocado one.  Gross.  I tried it once to be adventurous, but just.  No.
  • I do also like the bean dessert with the weird neon colored jelly things.  Yum!

RESTAURANT INFORMATION 
Address: 4647 Convoy St
Phone number: 858.277.0133
Website: http://www.phoconvoy.com
Accepts credit cards? Yes
Parking: Shared lot, still crowded
Ideal group size: Any
Noise level: 1

No comments:

Post a Comment